Rewinding back to Monday evening, after a fabulous healthy dinner that Savannah and I whipped up with basically everything we could find in the refrigerator..my parents mentioned that our neighbor had given us some rhubarb.
Rhubarb calls for one thing.. rhubarb pie! We put a few pictures up on our instagram and got quite a bit of feedback asking for the recipe so I am here to share it with you.
Savannah and I made two different “crumbles”. One was on the healthier lower calorie side while the other included real sugar and butter 🙂
We found our rhubarb in the grass.. still fresh, just cut and delivered!
We had heard that rhubarb leaves are poisonous and after some research it turns out to be true, so make sure not to eat the leaves or feed them to any of your pets!
So I took a great video of Savannah ‘harvesting’ our rhubarb but I can’t seem to find it on my computer so I will have to upload it later. She made sure to find the butchers knife in order to cut those stems! (it was quite the process)
But for most of you, I am sure you can find some rhubarb pre-cut and washed in the produce section or the frozen fruit section.
- 5 cups washed, chopped rhubarb (frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup of strawberries (frozen or fresh)
- 3 cups of oatmeal
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 6 squirts of Skinny Girl Liquid Sweetener
- Make sure to wash your fruit if it is fresh. We cut our rhubarb into about 1 inch pieces.
- Combine the strawberries, rhubarb and sweetener into the pan. We mixed it right in the baking pan.
3. Then mix the oatmeal, cinnamon, milk and a little more sweetener in a separate bowl.
4. Pour the oatmeal mixture over the fruit in the baking pan.
5. Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for about 35 minutes. You will have to keep an eye on the time and check the rhubarb to see how well it is cooking as it was uncooked to begin with.
The top should crisp up nicely in the oven… but make sure not to burn it 🙂
We served ours with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon.
Let us know how you love your pie!
Makes 16 servings, serving size: 1/16
Per Serving: Calories: 75, Protein: 3g, Fat: 1g, Carbohydrates: 14g, Sugar: 1g, Sodium: 6g,